Last updated: February 13, 2023
The privacy of your data is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights with respect to your data. We promise we never sell your data: never have, never will.
This policy applies to all products and services built and maintained by WIM Security GmbH.
What we collect and why
Our guiding principle is to collect only what we need. Here’s what that means in practice:
No Advertising and Cookies
We don’t run ads. We don’t use any kind of cookies. First-party, third-party, temporary or persistent. None. We don’t track you. We won’t retarget you.
Identity & access
When you sign up for a WIM Security services, products or mailing lists, we may ask for identifying information such as your name, email address, and maybe a company name. That’s so you can personalize your new account, and we can send you service and/or product updates and other essential information. We may also send you optional surveys from time to time to help us understand how you use our products and to make improvements. With your consent, we will send you our newsletter and other updates.
We’ll never sell your personal information to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company in marketing statements without your permission either.
If you sign up for a paid WIM Security GmbH product or service, you will be asked to provide your payment information and billing address. Credit card information is submitted directly to our payment processor and doesn’t hit WIM Security GmbH servers. We may store a record of the payment transaction, including the last 4 digits of the credit card number, for purposes of account history, invoicing, and billing support. We store your billing address so we can charge you for service, calculate any sales tax due, send you invoices, and detect fraudulent credit card transactions. We may occasionally use aggregate billing information to guide our marketing efforts.
We may collect information about your browsing activity for analytics and statistical purposes. This includes, for example, your browser and operating system versions, your IP address, which web pages you visited, and which website referred you to us.
When you email WIM Security GmbH with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including your email address, so that we have a history of past correspondence to reference if you reach out in the future.
We also store information you may volunteer, for example, written responses to surveys. If you agree to a customer interview, we may ask for your permission to record the conversation for future reference or use. We will only do so with your express consent.
When we access or share your information
To provide products or services you’ve requested. We use some third-party subprocessors to help run our business and provide the Services to you. The third-party subprocessors we use are:
- Zoho Campaigns, for sending email updates, newsletter and similar purposes. Website: https://www.zoho.com/campaigns/
WIM Security GmbH is a company founded in Germany. Our website is hosted on servers in Germany. All data we collect via website are stored within the European Union.
Your rights with respect to your information
At WIM Security GmbH, we strive to apply the same data rights to all customers, regardless of their location. Some of these rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To Be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, from all of our service providers. Fulfillment of some data deletion requests may prevent you from using some WIM Security products or services because our applications may then no longer work. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data.)
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to not Be Subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object to and prevent any decision that could have a legal or similarly significant effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. We do not and will not charge you a different amount to use our products or services, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and updating your account information.
If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at [email protected] or at WIM Security GmbH, Pappelallee 78/79, 10437, Berlin. If an authorized agent is corresponding on your behalf, we will need written consent with a signature from the account holder before proceeding.
If you are in the EU or UK, you can contact your data protection authority to file a complaint or learn more about local privacy laws.
How we secure your data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. The data we get from clients using our services are encrypted at rest, whenever and wherever reasonable.
Location of site and data
Our website and other web properties are operated in the Germany. If you are located outside of European Union, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to and stored in the European Union. By using our websites or Services and/or providing us with your personal information, you consent to this transfer.
When transferring personal data from the EU
The European Data Protection Board (EDPB) has issued guidance that personal data transferred out of the EU must be treated with the same level of protection that is granted under EU privacy law.
We don’t transfer any personal data out of the EU.
Changes & questions
We may update this policy as needed to comply with relevant regulations and reflect any new practices. Whenever we make a significant change to our policies, we will refresh the date at the top of this page and take any other appropriate steps to notify users.
This policy is open source, licensed under CC BY 4.0. Adapted from the Basecamp open-source policies / CC BY 4.0.